alt-tag
Lyon, Saint-François-de-Sales
The Cavaillé-Coll organ of Saint-François de Sales in Lyon represents a kind of apotheosis of the choir organ.

The construction of the organ of Saint-François de Sales originated in the desire of the parish superintendents to improve the accompanying situation of the Maîtrise, which stood far removed from the organ balcony behind the main altar. Applying for the commission to build a new choir organ, Cavaillé-Coll submitted a very ambitious draft intending to remove the balcony organ, replacing it with a new one at ground level, the casing of which was to extend upwards to the area underneath the vault. The construction was consecrated on 15 December 1880 and has remained – thanks to the farsightedness of its titular organists – almost in its original condition up to the present day.